The University Honors and University Scholars Programs engage alumni by offering a series of guest lectures entitled Alumni Stories as a part of the Scholars Forum course. Our speakers have included:
- Kate Sutton (’06) speaking about her work with Novozymes
- Jackie Gonzalez (’18) talking about her position as Finance Director for Chief Justice Cheri Beasley Committee
- Lee Ringer (’01) sharing about his work as a meteorologist for Spectrum news
- Amanda Sautner (’17) talking about her path to vet school
- Jess Hatcher (’16) discussing her work as a cognitive linguist for Credite Suisse
- Alli Walton (’00) talking about her career path as a an engineering manager for Cisco Systems.
These talks expose current students to alumni from our programs that have followed diverse career paths and transformed their academic successes into career strengths.
How we engage our alumni
- We invite select alumni to speak on-campus to our current students to share their stories of success, challenges, and setbacks in their career trajectories after college.
- We send an annual newsletter to alumni highlighting student successes, innovative programmatic offerings, and strategic accomplishments.
- We are interested in partnering with alumni for off-campus engagement opportunities including career mentorship and potential internship opportunities for current students, and UHSP trip collaborations when we travel to alumni cities.
- Fundraising and development that directly and tangibly improves the ability of our students to participate in innovative co-curricular programming such as HON seminars, Cultural and Outdoor Explorations trips, study abroad programs, and participation in undergraduate research experiences.